Community housing is one of a number of affordable housing options in South Australia and was introduced in Australia in the early 1970s with some of the first housing occurring in the Bowden and Brompton areas.
Some benefits of community housing are:
- Long-term secure housing for a variety of people in need
- Empowerment of tenants and development of a community focus
- Drawing in the support of agencies which already provide for those in need and are already assisting in addressing these needs
- Cost effective housing support
- Friendship and assistance within a community environment
- Skill development often leading to reduced reliance on government benefits
- Opportunities to contribute to the community
To read more about community housing in South Australia, click here.
Cornerstone Housing is responsible for assessing and selecting tenants for housing under the Renewal SA 2016 Master Agreement and the Community Housing Providers (National Law) (South Australia) Act 2013. The target group of tenancy with Cornerstone Housing is that registrants should be from disadvantaged groups such as:
- Single parents and families
- The elderly
- People with an intellectual or physical disability
- Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders
- Victims of domestic violence
The registrants should be linked to support groups and agencies and are in need of accommodation.
To be eligible for any community housing in South Australia, you must meet the three basic eligibility requirements:
- Be a current resident of South Australia
- Not be a home owner
- Be in receipt of an independent income
For more information regarding further community housing eligibility, please refer to the CPG Eligibility for Community Housing Fact Sheet (184kB)
To apply for community housing through Cornerstone Housing, please call our office on 8165 5300.
If you are already registered for community housing with another organisation, contact them to allow Cornerstone Housing to access your registration.
Although Cornerstone Housing is a registered community housing company, we may not have housing in the area in which you require. For a full list of community housing organisations, please Click Here